»

Friday, November 30, 2007

"Two Truths and a Lie"

I enjoy a work environment where half of the staff is single. We enjoy getting together to go boating, skiing, eating out, etc. Well one night, after we had returned from skiing on Utah Lake, we meet at the V.P. home to have a barbeque. As we finished up our meal and were lounging around out on the back balcony enjoying the gorgeous view of Utah Lake, we decided to play "Two Truths and a Lie."
At first, I was really excited about the game. I really enjoy seeing people in a different light and learning more about them. Well, as the game progressed, I realized the "truths and lie" I often use when playing this game were not appropriate and I started to panic. "What truths do I have about my life that are off beat and could sound like a lie. What lie should I say!" I yelled to myself. Luckily, right before it was my turn it hit me. See if you can figure out which is the lie:

I have lost my bang three times and have had to do a "comb forward" each time to create new ones:



1st I burned them on a curling iron
2nd a monkey pulled them out
3rd I burned them with a candle





So, which is your guess? Which is the lie?




To be honest with you they are all true.




The 1st time I lost my bangs was when ironing my hair on my mission. I had plugged my American made hair curler into a Chilean socket. When I put my hair in the hair curler and rolled it down towards my head a large quantity of smoke rose into the air. I freaked out and tried to release the curling iron from my hair.....but alas, the hair was burnt to the iron. I looked in horror at the iron and the smoldering hair that was attached to it! I then looked in the mirror and saw a nice white bald spot on the front of my face! I was so upset! I had to create new bangs by combing my hair forward and cutting new ones--it was so embarrassing.

The 2nd time I lost my bangs was when I was in college.
Background:
I was living in the Elms Apartments just south of BYU campus. My roommate and I were having problems with our bedroom so our beds were stacked in such a way that my bed was underneath my roommates--like a trundle bed--in the dead center of our room
Each night I would have to pull my bed out from under her bed and then push it back under during the day. To make matters worst, my roommate and I suddenly notice that our clothes started to have holes in them. The Elms management said that it must be moths......but I knew that there was no way a moth could eat a 2 inch round whole out of a cotton shirt.....we had mice! I was certain. The Elms management said that there was no way we had mice so I decided I would have to "see" one to prove them wrong.

That is where losing my bangs comes into play:

After returning from a late night study date with the BYU library, I entered my room and quiet pulled my bed out from under my roommate’s (She had already fallen asleep so I was being particularly quiet). After settling into my bed, I heard a scurrying sound. A MOUSE!!! I ran out of my room to obtain whatever was quickly and easily accessible to eliminate the situation without turning the lights on and waking my roommate. Well, the first thing that I saw was a candle. I lit it quickly and returned to my bedroom (Not the smartest idea in the world I will readily admit)! Unfortunately, I was not thinking about how to properly hold a candle when I leaned down by the side of our beds to see if I could see a mouse was under our beds. As soon as I got about 5 inches from the floor, my source of light caught my roommate’s comforter on fire. Flames flew up quickly in my face and on her comforter. I jumped back. I quickly grabbed something and extinguished the flames. When I finally got the fire out (I was so proud that I had not disturbed my roommate’s sleep) I decided to give up on my mouse hunt and go to bed.
The next day I noticed that I could still smell smoke. I assumed it was the smoke from the night before still in the air. It was not until I started combing my hair and finding large chunks of singed bangs falling down into the sink that I realize what happened. Apparently, when the flames first caught fire on the comforter, my bangs also had caught on fire. I looked in the mirror in horror!
Once again, I found myself having to create new bangs to hide the singed stubbles left on my forehead.

The 3rd and last time I lost my bangs was when I met a monkey. This particular monkey was sitting on a gated fence about 5 1/2 feet high (I know it was that high because I could look directly into its eyes). This monkey was drinking from an old Pepsi Cola glass bottle that had a nipple attached to it. I also noticed that it had a dog type chain around its neck that was attached to the fence; obviously a family pet. I had never been so close to a monkey before and thought it was cute and wondered if I could touch it. Then I noticed the owner of the monkey sitting on the porch of the house. I asked the owner if it was friendly. She assured me that it was and I asked if I could pet it. When I was told I could I stepped forward to pet the monkey. Well, apparently this monkey either liked my hair or didn’t' want me to touch it because as soon as I stepped forward it reached forward and grabbed a large handful of my bangs and yanked back. I let out a loud scream. The owner ran forward and quickly grabbed the monkey...but not quickly enough..I noticed the large quantity of hair wrapped between its fingers!
When returning home I had to repeat the ritual of creating new bangs! Ugh!



The only lie was the order in which they are told. The monkey situation happened on my mission (yes, twice during my mission I lost my bangs). I personally think the monkey was not sure about "blond" hair. The first time I lost my bangs was when I was in college. My life is pretty sad at times, I know.





So, what funny truth has happened to you that sounds like a lie?

3 comments:

Ilene said...

I thought they were all true. Don't remember hearing the monkey story before, though.

I can't ever think of enough interesting truths or lies for this game. I know I have the experiences but somehow I block them out.

Cynthia said...

As you were reading this to me the other night I just knew they were all true. Only you Winnie, only you.

nicole said...

I remember hearing some of these stories before and I was reading them I envisioned what your face must have looked like when you realized what had happened and I burst out laughing.