Last week the bishop asked me to speak in church on eternal goals today. I have learned a great deal in the last week while preparing for this talk and would like to document it so as not to forget the thoughts I received....so I am going to paste my talk on here....please do not feel obligated to read it!
"Last week when the bishop asked me to talk on “Eternal Goals” I thought: Great, he must perceive me as someone who is walking aimlessly through life and needs some help!
Later, when talking with my grandmother about my topic she said, "It is the one goal that seems so far away that we forget to focus in on it daily. Gee, Winnie the youth really need to hear this topic.
I agree with her completely. So youth pay attention........
Yet, as I started to pray, prepare and contemplate the topic of Eternal Goals the spirit started to whisper and teach me about the most important Eternal Goal.....it was at that point that I started to panic. I realized there is no way I would be able to teach this subject completely in a year, or a life time, let alone in 10 minutes. I myself have yet to reach the depth of what I am learning and wonder if I will even in eternity. Yet, I do believe that if we cannot find the full meaning of this simple, yet very straight forward teaching, we might find ourselves wondering down paths we should avoid or worst yet being cumbered about doing good but not doing the better part.
It is truly the "eternal goal," the one we often times neglect because of the effort it takes, the distractions of the world, or the lack of understanding of the importance of this truth — yet it’s effects are so far reaching that it literally will dictate our eternal futures.
So whether you are a young child preparing to be baptized, a youth or adult needing to find a personal testimony or a 103 year old individual waiting for the arms of an outstretched Savior this “Eternal Goal,” is just as valid and pressing!
Where do we find this Eternal Goal: We can read about it in John 17: 3
“This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent.”
How has this scripture effected your life or has it. How can coming to know the Father and His son benefit you individually? Do you realize that very scripture points to this simple truth--That the most important eternal goal we can have is to know the Father and His Son?
Every prophet, every talk (at least they should) points us to the Godhead and encourage us to be like them. Why is this goal THAT important? How does it have eternal consequences? Now there is no way I can answer all of these questions in this brief talk, but my salvation depends on it and so does yours.
I know that my life has been changes repeatedly due to this simple scripture. It has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember. A goal to know the Man who came to this life to die for me. To know my Father, the one whom I am patterned after; to not only “know about them” but to know them. To have a relationship with them.
I will never forget the year I wanted to get to know my Savior better and come to know His characteristics. I was in high school and I had remembered that Joseph Smith had stated that a man can get nearer to God by reading the Book of Mormon than by any other book. I decided to see if that was a true statement. As I started to read the Book of Mormon I was shocked at what I was encountering. I remember the specific night when I was reading Christ ministering to the children in 3 Nephi 17 and how he wept for them.....and how I wept....and the strongest impression of how he weeps for me....and then the understanding of the Savior Character born witness to me by the Holy Ghost. I know through that experience that Jesus knows us individually, he loves us so unconditionally, and this love is so uncomprehensible that he is moved to tears for us. An experience so sacred that it has dictated many of my actions since that time.
Lehi, after experiencing the fruit of the tree of life, described the fruit as the most desirable above all other fruit. Lehi desired to know God and as he put forth an effort he was blessed with knowledge and understanding. He was able to partake of the tree of life. It was so desirable, so life changing that his immediate reaction was to share with his family.
I know of Lehi's desire to share. That feeling came to my heart this morning when talking to my grandmother. I said, “Grandma it is so important we understand this truth. I really have felt the Father’s desire that we come to Him and His Son, it is the only true way back. How will I ever inspire the ward to want to grasp, or continue to grasp, this goal and leave church today wanting to strengthen their relationship with their Father and Savior — I feel and am so inadequate!”
Brothers and Sisters the fruit is that desirable.... have we partaken of the fruit.....do we continue to partake of it daily? If you haven’t yet....get on your knees and put forth the effort in fasting and prayer......it is worth it, I so testify.....and if you have had that privilege of partaken of the fruit I admonish you to get down on your knees and redouble your efforts — I am going to be doing so!
When preparing for this talk, A few scripture account came bounding into my head. One was that of Martha and Mary. I often have wondered about this simple, yet so profound event. It has changed my outlook on life so many times; so when it came to mind again I pondered how this event related to the Eternal Goal of coming to know the Godhead.
Martha was running around doing good. She was a good person, the Savior loved her. She was serving.....Yet she forgot about the Eternal Goal......she forgot to stop and go to the Savor’s feet and listen to Him. I thought on this and when talking with my friend Emily yesterday it hit me. We realized that Martha hadn’t stopped to listen to her Savior, to get to know His will at that moment. She just assumed that by doing the service and work, that seemed so apparent, she was doing what was right. She forgot the first Eternal Goal of knowing the Savior. If she had stopped first, got down on her knees and listened to Him she would know where and how to properly serve. She would have been able service the way He would want her to serve–
You see, the Savor knows our hearts and what we need...he is the teacher and can let us know what is the better part. It is when we come to him, instead of cumbering ourselves about doing things that might seem grand but are empty and hollow, that we are able to truly be like Him....and are able to serve perfectly. It was at that point that I remembered the scripture found in Matthew 7:21-23:
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
How I pray I keep my Eternal Goal to know the Father and His Son so that I will be known by them!
Peter walking on the water is another example for us of why the Eternal Goal to know God is so important.
Often times I hear people condemn Peter because he started to sink. I don’t see it that way. I marvel at Peter. I marvel and want to be like him. I marvel at his great desire to go to the Savior — he already was aware of his surroundings, that he was in a boat that was on the water. He knew and had faith to whom he was looking. He had a relationship with Him.....If we read the account in Matthew 14:28-32 we see that first Peter asked the Savior if it was his will:
“And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou bid me come unto the on the water”
Peter not only had a knowledge of all his surroundings and wasn’t afraid BUT he also realized that God’s will is first (a little bit ahead of Martha in a way)....it was only then, when the Lord invited him that Peter stepped out of the boat — brethren and sisters — he stepped out of the boat out of the safety, comforts zone to go to the Savior – what an example!
It wasn’t until verse 30 when Peter “saw the wind boisterous” did he start to sink. It wasn’t until he took his focus off the Savior did Peter start to sink. Isn’t that true in our own lives? I can learn so much from Peter and his example here. As soon as I forget to ask, forget to step out of the boat when invited, or focus on the things that are happening around me instead of keeping my Eternal Goal of coming to know my Father and His son do I start to slip and fall.
When talking with a friend of mine a few weeks ago, we discussed how easily it is to criticize the Israelite when Moses asked his followers to simply look at the staff to be healed from their snake bits. Just by looking up they would live...yet their unbelief, their lack of knowledge of God’s power inhibited many of them from looking up.....it was too difficult to do so and they perished. We then concluded that we are so much like the Israelites, we often forget how we can look up in prayer and ask for forgiveness. We allow Satan to convince us that we are too far gone...too “sick” that a simple “staff” (Christ’s atonement) can heal us and we allow ourselves to keep our heads down and slowly die spiritually. We can easily avoid this dilemma by keeping our Eternal Goal of coming to know God and His son. We understand our Savior better and his atonement. We understand my favorite scriptures found in Doctrine and Covenants 6 34-37:
"Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail. Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you. Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not. Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen."
When we are activily working on this goal we remember His words, we are also less likely to fall into sin and when we do our faith will be strong enough to look to the Savior and have him heal us. Do you see how far reaching this simple aspect of the Eternal Goal has eternal consequences!
If there is one wish of my heart that could be granted today it would be that we set the goal, or reset the goal, to know the Father and His Son. By pushing ourselves in this one goal we will be better individuals, spouses, parents and disciples. It is my testimony that it is worth the effort. It is the most desirable above all other, it truly is a gift that one has to earn.
Know that your Father in Heaven knows you; knows you individually and loves you beyond your ability to comprehend. Know he wants you to come to Him and feast at His table. There is nothing more important in this world than that of knowing the Father and His Son....nothing more eternally reaching than this simple truth.
I bear you my witness that God lives, that Jesus IS the Christ. That our Savior is as alive today as you see me here standing. May we come to know them better this week and throughout all of our lives, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen."
It was later after giving this talk did I realize some more truths taught to me throughout this week:
One was that there is a progression found within the scriptures shared.....Martha (in this case) is often like individuals who gain a testimony but forget to continue gaining further light and knowledge in order to progress correctly.
Peter reminds me of individuals who have a relationship with the Savior but allow the world to distract them from focusing in on him.
And the Israelites teach us that about individuals who start following the prophets but never really come to know the will of God and complain...and then when presented with the solution to their problems miss their chance because of the lack of understanding needed to exercise faith.
I am so grateful for the insights that have come to my heart as I have prepared and delivered this talk. I hope to really push myself to strengthen my relationship with my God, it is that important I have been reminded!
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yes! Now I know where to go when I have to give my next talk. I will make sure that I somehow tweak whatever topic I am given to fit this one.
Sweet.
Post a Comment