Ok, here is part of note I sent home to my student's parents and thought I would pass it along to you parents (and parents to be)......just a thought for you to think about!
"Parents, please be aware that it is crucial that your child reads aloud each night to someone (preferably you if possible). A child may be a great reader “in their head” but fall extremely short when asked to read aloud. Please note that reading aloud is a skill unto itself; a skill that is never truly mastered in 1st grade due to their lack of vocabulary and knowledge of how to articulate the English language. Correct expression can only be learned verbally. Articulation is most easily taught when a child is reading aloud to a parent and/or teacher. Not only does reading aloud requires more effort, understanding, expression and fluency (then it does to read silently) but also allows you as the parent to correct any pronunciation mistakes, notice concepts or words your child may not understand and/or miscues that may occur. Mistakes, miscues, incorrect wording are often left unfixed or unnoticed at this age when read a book alone (and/or silently). Too often children are “let loose” to read on their own way too soon. Please, please do not skip this critical piece in your child’s reading education!
Thursday, November 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
One only needs to sit in church and listen to some adults read to know that reading aloud is a skill that so many do not have. It's sad. Good for you Winnie!
I am so glad you said that.....I was too scared to actually type it out! That is exactly one of the things I was thinking about when I wrote the letter!
Post a Comment