»

Monday, September 29, 2008

"Stealers"

Does this woman look like a "stealer" to you?



While working on "un" words in class (ie bun, fun, stun...), I had the children write the word "nun" on their individual whiteboards. They all easily scribbled the word down correctly and waited for the next.....that was until a little hand flew into the air.
"Yes," I nodded.
"What is a nun?" came the reply.
"A nun is a woman who chooses to live in a Catholic Church and worship God everyday," I replied.
"I am a nun," comes a reply.
"Well, first of all you need to be a woman, Catholic (I knew from previous comments in class that this child was not a Catholic) and older. Have any of you seen "The Sound of Music?" I asked.
The kids nodded and called out that they had.
"Do you remember the ladies who were wearing the black dresses," I continued.
More nodding.
Then a little boy yells out, "They are the stealers!!!"
"Stealers?" I asked. "Why do you think they are stealers?"
"They are stealers because they wear black. All stealers wear black like that," came his confident reply.
Well, my theory that he remembered the part in The Sound of Music where the nuns removed the car parts was blown out of the water.
"Good guess, sweetheart, but those are actually nuns. Good women who love God, are Catholic and live in a church."
"Oh," was all he could mustard.
I really think he doesn't believe me.

I couldn't help but chuckle the rest of the day. Nuns/Stealers?!?!

6 comments:

Jackie said...

What a funny kid!

Paula said...

Yea! I've missed reading your blog. You crack me up! Too funny on the Stealers connection. We should really write a book. :)

Ilene said...

I love the Sound of Music. I'm glad to hear that kids today still know about that movie.

What a funny kid.

FYI you have "mustard" instead of "muster."

Cynthia said...

hilarous winnie...does a day ever go by that you don't get at least one funny comment from a student?

nicole said...

so today was my day to help out in Michael's classroom. When I had to ask one of the little girl's name because I had forgotten it, she told me her name, then very sweetly informed me I had short term memory loss.I'd only been in there once before by the way.

Dee said...

That's hilarious! Kids are soooo funny at this age! I didn't really know until I started helping out in my daughter's class. You must crack up all day! What a fun job!