»

Friday, September 5, 2008

Marriage? Again!

This week, while I was teaching my students about even and odd numbers, one of my students asked, "Miss Winward, how old are you?" Of course I accurately responded, "I am 35 years old." This of course got many gasps from other students, and a few kids who wanted to let me know how much older I was then their mom or dad. Well, this isn't an abnormal response---I have had similar responses since I turned 30...but this year was different! it didn't stop there! Oh, no. After a few comparisons I was bombarded with, "Miss Winward why aren't you married." Trying to be clever I responded, "Because I haven't found my Prince Charming yet" (sound familiar---I have had to use it a lot lately it seems--see previous blog). Well, this response didn't satisfy the student who asked me how old I was. She decided to yell, "You are really old, so why aren't you married?" She was obviously very confused! By this time the class was completely oblivious that I was even in the room. They freely discussing amongst themselves why their poor teacher wasn't married yet. I couldn't help but chuckle at their thought processes! One cute little student responded, "Of course she isn't married yet. You can't get married until you have served a mission and then come home and find a man who has served a mission and then he has to really love you and then you have to really love him and then you can get married."
Wow, I thought, she definitely has had some very specific Family Home Evenings! I decided I better not let her know I have served a mission....that might really confuse her.
What was even funnier to me was that another student didn't think that was a good enough conclusion and screamed over everyone else, "Miss Winward can't get married because she has to teach us!"
I decided to nip it in the bud right there and said, "Yep, if I were married I wouldn't be able to be here with you, so let's get busy." The kids then decided it was better that I wasn't married and immediately focused back on the odds and evens I had placed on the board! :-)

I love my kids this year!!!

4 comments:

Dee said...

Hee hee! That was funny. I can't believe your marital status brought about so much confusion and discussion? Only in Utah!

Kimmy said...

How cute! You are lucky to be around little kids that are so sweet and were seriously caring about you! How funny that little girls knew so much about marriage! lol

Jackie said...

Kids are funny! I remember when I was teaching a kid asked me what the spots were all over my face. I had to own the fact that I had a huge zit problem once again.
Thank you for the advice you gave me for Emma. That was really helpful! She has gotten 100% on both of her spelling tests so far.
I loved your comments on my Sarah Palin post too. You brought up some great points!

Ilene said...

It must be fun teaching in Utah.

In other states you may be asked, "Well, are you living with someone at least?"