April 1st was a fun day at school. After teaching the history of April Fools, my class and I decided to play a few little April Fools pranks on other classes. They were very successful and quite entertaining....my favorite prank was when my first graders made their 6th grade buddy readers a Christmas card with a Halloween treat attached to it (notice how they were able to practice their letter writing skills during this activity--very academical).
After delivering their cards, we also decided that it would be funny to removed all of the 6th graders' chairs and relocated them into the music room (with this activity my students were able to enjoy some "P.E."). The kids thought this was so funny (as did I)! They did such a great job in keeping the secret too! When their buddy readers came to read with them after lunch....and questioned my students about where their chairs were....surprisingly not one spilled the beans. 45 mins. after the 6th graders left our classroom they finally were able to find their chairs.
Once the 6th graders found their chairs, their teacher decided to parade the entire class back into our classroom, with their chairs, to show off that they had finally found them. I acted as if I had no idea why they were walking into my room...I asked the teacher where he had found the chairs, etc. My kids, however, lost it at this point...yelling over to me, "Miss Winward they found the chairs we hid!"
I could not help but laugh out loud at this point...that is, until one of my students started screaming out. I quickly started crossing the room when the child ran right up to me, rubbing the back of his head and crying loudly. It took me a moment to get him to calm down. I was sure one of the 6th graders accidentally hit him in the head with a chair. No such luck....when I finally got the child calm enough to relate the story I sat there thinking....I thought I heard it all!!!
Apparently, when the 6th graders came parading into the room, this child wanted to show them how "shocked" he was that they were able to find their chairs that he decided to "fake" fainting. Unfortunately, he was so successful in "faking a faint" that he fell back and hit his head on a chair behind him!!! I sat their dumbfounded. When I repeated what he had said, just in case I misunderstood his explanation, he responded with a "duh" attitude, "Yeah, Miss Winward. You know, you faint when you are really shocked." I wanted to scream, "WHAT IN THE WORLD, are you an idiot!" No worries though...I am not that type of teacher.....instead I simply asked, "Was that a smart idea?" To which he repeated the entire story, as if I were some kind of dummy.
"We" then discussed the situation together. :-) "We" concluded that maybe that wasn't the best idea after all and that maybe the next time he thinks about "fake fainting" he should forgo the urge! Hopefully this has knocked some better sense into him!
Once again...."I thought I had heard it all"...but apparently not!
Kids, they are such a wonder!
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ah, children. I don't know how you do it.
Winnie, It's a wonder you have any energy at all left at the end of your day after reading things like this.
Post a Comment