»

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Fortunately! I need your opinion!


Unfortunately, I found myself "homeless" and looking for a place to live in April 2006.
Fortunately, I was able to find a condo I liked, in the price range I could afford, and was close to my work.
Unfortunately, I was told the condo would not be completed until spring 2007.
Fortunately, I had a place to stay.
Unfortunately, I didn't want to wait that long and continued to look elsewhere.
Fortunately, there was a lot of construction going on in Utah.
Unfortunately, Utah experienced a huge housing boom and I found it impossible to find anything in my price range!
Fortunately, I had put money down on the condo in November of 2006, despite my intension of looking elsewhere!
Unfortunately, the prices of my condo escalated tremendously.
Fortunately, my contract secured the original price.
Unfortunately, I would have to wait and continue to pay to store all of my belongings.
Fortunately, I still loved the large family room and the basic floor plan of the condo and was content with my purchase.

Unfortunately, due to "water rights issues," the builder was not granted a building permit and the completion date was pushed back from spring to late summer, 2007.
Fortunately, the "water rights issues" were resolved and the building permits were issued (thanks to my amazing undercover work, a few phone calls and a wonderful cousin, Mike Hadley, who was able to track down the problem---it was sitting on some Utah state attorney's desk!!!)!

Unfortunately, that excitement died down when all building in the area was halted, due to a Saratoga Springs sewage problem and then continued to be postponed when an Eagle Mountain well drying up.
Fortunately, my enthusiasm returned when both issues were resolved and the building was given the go ahead once again.
Unfortunately, I as told the completion date would then be sometime in February, 2008.
Fortunately, they decided they would still honor my original contract price even though my contract would expire before Feb. 2008 and they could "technically" change the price on me.
Unfortunately, during these "postponement times," I realized that building "J" would have a better view then my condo in building "I."
Fortunately, I was allowed to switch condo buildings with no extra charge (building "I" is what you see above-the wood skeleton building).
Unfortunately, I was not told that this change would push my completion date back a few extra months (since building "I" would be completed before condo "J"--)!
Fortunately, it ended up being a blessing...because while they were building condo building "I" the company experienced major changes. The owner, I believe, changed and a new builder was brought in. The builder decided to make some major changes. The basic floor plan was about the same, but there were significant changes; For example, 9-foot ceilings throughout...instead of vaulted ceilings in kitchen and living room, they decided to add a counter arm to the floor plan and a pantry/cabinet next to the fridge (not seen in the below photo), etc.
This picture is the only one I could find to show the new bar--my condo will be a mirror image of this kitchen and will have a new cabinet beside the fridge (of course without the vaulted ceilings):

Unfortunately, this change caused the completion date to be pushed back yet again. I was told it would be completed at the end of May, 2008.
Fortunately, I was fine with that because I learned that condo building "J," would be the first to be wired for HD, surround sound, and a few other perks.
Unfortunately, I found out that some of these new "perks" weren't going to be free and that my original choices of upgrades were no longer available and neither were their prices.
Fortunately, the window company accidentally installed the wrong windows in building "J". They accidentally installed 6-foot windows in the family room area and 4-5 foot windows in the bedrooms-way bigger than what was suppose to be installed.
Unfortunately, after school on Friday (April 12th) I decided to go see how my condo was coming.
Fortunately, the builder was in the model.
Unfortunately, the builder informed me that the electricians had already started wiring building "J" and none of my information (as to what I wanted done) had been passed on to him.
Fortunately, when I walked over to my condo I found that the electricians hadn't wired the third floor yet.
Unfortunately, the builder decided to go with cheap track lighting instead of canned lighting in the kitchen and family room area.

Fortunately, I was grateful that they allowed me to change back to canned lighting.
Unfortunately, it was not going to be free.
Fortunately, they allowed me to arrange the placing of lights, electrical outlets and the opening of a closet I did not particularly like.
Unfortunately, with all of this "excitement" and stress I have come to realize that there are so many decisions to be made that I don't have the answers for.
Fortunately, a lot of decisions had to be made this last week and luckily, I was on spring break.
Unfortunately, I have spent my entire--ENTIRE!!!--spring break traveling up to my condo to go over changes, choosing upgrades (again), haggling the new prices, visiting outlet stores, etc. to try to get everything in order.
Fortunately, the owner has cut me a great deal on all of the new changes and upgrades.
Unfortunately, it is about $4,000 more than then I originally expected.
Fortunately, the condo will still be $20,000 cheaper than what others have to pay.
Unfortunately, I still need to decide if the appliances, the builder is offering me, are worth getting (they will cost me an extra $700 for all three items).
Fortunately, I subscribed to Consumer Report (that way I don't have to bug Mike Harrington anymore ;-).
Unfortunately, Consumer Report had nothing on these products.
Fortunately, I do have a description of each item and details about them.
Unfortunately, the manufacturer wrote them.
Fortunately, that is where you come in...because
Fortunately, some of you know a bit about appliances.
So....fortunately, you could let me know if I am getting a good deal or if I should go look for other appliances.
All opinions would be great to have! Any other building tips would also be appreciated!
These are the items:
Stove

Dishwasher

Microwave

7 comments:

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Ok..I will have to look into the appliances. I am not sure about them offhand. Next..I told you that my husband (and I) is more than happy to go and check out your condo and see what is going on etc etc. Maybe we could meet you over there sometime this week and then Brett can keep an eye on it. You should have called us last week. Shame on you! :) Seriously let me know.

Win said...

I would be ever so grateful if Brett could keep an eye out for me...unfortunately it is way out of my way and now that school has started...so have my classes...which means I won't be able to get up there as often. Let's chat Wed. Thanks so much!!!!! You guys are awesome!

Ilene said...

$700 is not bad because if you don't pay it, they will put the lowest appliances into your condo and then you will have to buy your upgraded appliances yourself (way more than $700) and figure out what to do with the three lower grade appliances.

Does that make sense?

I think we had to pay like $500 to upgrade our stove from the element kind to the flat top kind and it wasn't even stainless steel so I think $700 is a good price.

Besides, this isn't going to be a kitchen that is trying to feed a family of 12 boys so I think the appliances will be fine for your needs.

Brett said...

Miss Winward.... That seems odd to say since my wife refers to you by your first name, maybe I will refer to you as the Winster, then again I don’t think you would like my kiddo calling you that in class... anyhow, back to my comment, I wouldn’t mind checking up on your condo anytime, it is what I do for a living, and to be honest I could always use the excuse to leave the office early and "check" on a job site. The appliance issue seems to be a good deal to me; after all they are GE appliances judging by the pictures, we chose the cheaper route and have a refrigerator that growls constantly now.

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Hi I am back! I am with your sweet sis and my nerdy/funny husband. Go for the appliances. I think it is a good deal. We will for sure talk on Wednesday. I am looking forward to it.

Michael said...

The stove is an excellent price and GE always gets good reviews on them. Don't know about the dishwasher, though..Maytag was the leader a few years ago and very quiet. I have no opinion about the microwave. A microwave is a microwave.

Cynthia said...

IT WILL ALL WORK OUT!!! It will all work out...repeat over and over like a mantra.