»

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Teaching a point...a funny experience:

They say that using a "real life" experience (that children can relate to) is the most effective way to teach a new concept or word.....this is true....let me explain.
Yesterday, one of my students asked me what the word "drags" means. Seeing that I was in front of the class, with all eyes on me eagerly waiting for an answer, I quickly decided to lower my "ankle length" skirt...it has an elastic waist band and I was wearing a longer top so it was OK to do....and started walking around the classroom (a "real life experience"--right?!?!). I then turned to the student who wanted to know what "drags" means and asked him what my skirt was "doing"...of course he said, "It is dragging on the ground." We then related it to the word drags, etc. and went on with what we were doing.
Well, unfortunately that wasn't the end of my lesson. Apparently when I slipped my skirt down my slip went with it....when I hiked my skirt back up---my slip did not follow!!! So, to solidify the concept of "drags," about five minutes later I noticed that the slip I was wearing had reached my ankles and was "dragging on the floor." The students of course noticed also.....so, I had to think fast as I was ripping my slip back up....I decided to used it as an example in re-teaching about the word "drags." The kids thought I did it on purpose and thought I was really funny.
After settling them into an activity, I quickly walked outside into the hall and turned the brightest color of red ever! How embarrassing!! I haven't heard anything from my students' parents so I think I am OK. I can state--with certainty though--that all 27 students have a very firm knowledge of the word "drags."
Teaching is so fun!
Aren't you glad your kid isn't in my class!!!

2 comments:

Michael said...

Hey, Winnie. You don't know what embarrassing really is! Embarrassing is when you are halfway through Sacrament Meeting and you discover your fly is down!! I wanted to die! Know Tina has to ask me before we go anywhere know. Makes me feel like an old man. -Groan-

Win said...

Now Mike that is embarrassing!!!