»

Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday from H-E-double hockey sticks!

Friday from Heck! So yesterday was an awful day! Seriously, my kids were CRAZY! They would not close their mouths to save their lives. They wanted to talk to me about everything under the sun that didn't relate at all to any type of class work. To make matters worst, it started to snow---making it an inside recess day (a teacher's nightmare)! I thought I was going to go insane.....until right before the bell rang and the weirdest thing happened which made me laugh. I was sitting at my computer, typing in a student's leprechaun story while they were dictating it to me, when another student (we will call her Ann) came running clear across the classroom and yelled out something about a piece of brain being on the floor. I quickly waved her off by saying "Ann, there are no brains on the floor. Go back to your desk and get your work done." I then turned back to the student who was standing next to me, who of course who had not ceased dictating their story, to try and figure out what it was that I had missed (have to love first graders--completely oblivious to others around them when focused on a task). Of course Ann hadn't moved at all and was just looking at me in shock,

Ann: "But Mrs. McDaniel but there are brains....something something."

I really didn't understand what it was she was saying because she was saying it so fast and loud while the other student next to me was rambling.

Me: "Thank you Ann, now return to your seat."

Ann (responding in pure panic): "But Mrs. McDaniel there are brains!"

I quickly turned to Ann and said: "Ann, brains can't be on the ground."

She obviously was so distraught by this time that she must not have listened to what it was that I said because she said, "Yes Mrs. McDaniel I see it!!!"

I finally decided to abandon all hopes in trying to get the story typed before the bell rang and excused the other student to go to back to their seat. I then turned to Ann and said, "I really don't understanding what it is you are trying to tell me, what piece of brain?"

Ann (in a weak, scared voice): "Your brain is coming out of the back of you head!"

Me (shocked voice): "What! Ann, my brain is not coming out of my head."

Student (voice elevating): "Yes it is! I see it."

Me: "Where?"

Student (While taking her finger and pointing hesitantly at the side of my head--of course not too close because that would be gross): "Right on the side of your head!"

Me (Touching the side of my head): "No Ann, my brains are not coming out."

Ann (quieter now): "Yes it is."

Me: "No Ann, my brains are NOT coming out of my head."

Ann (softly): "Yes it is. I can see it."

Me: "What? Ann, really there is nothing coming out of my head."

Ann (elevated and exasperated voice): "Yes it is! I can see it!"

Me: "Ann, where exactly do you see my brains coming out of my head?"

Ann (in an annoyed voice): "It is right behind your ear!!!"

Out of pure annoyance, I quickly touched behind my ear to show her that there is nothing there. As I do, I immediately feel the mole I have located behind my ear. As I touched it Ann says: "See, there! Your brain is falling out!" Reality hits.....

Me (with a chuckle): "Oh, Ann that is just a mole. That is not my brains falling out."

Ann (completely shocked): "But it looks like brains."

Me: "Well, it is not my brains, it is a mole."

Ann: "What is a mole?"

After that conversation I felt like I did lose part of my brain! UGH!

No comments: