For those of you who haven't read my previous blog (July: What do these things have in common) I had a crazy summer plagued with injuries. To help find the problem of those events, on my birthday no less, I went to the American Fork Hospital to have an MRI on my neck and upper back. I walked into the Hospital and handed the referral paper to the receptionist.
Ok, pause.....a little bit of background is needed in order to understand what transpired: First of all, I was given a referral paper by my doctor and instructed that if the pain in my neck/back continued and the numbness and tingling in my arms did not subside I was to go get a x-ray to see if I had any herniations in my neck. Well, dumb little old me, remembered that the last time I had an "x-ray" to see if I had a herniated disk was when I had my MRI. So, after weeks of EXTREME pain, I decided it was time to go in and have my neck/back "x-rayed." When I called the hospital "I" did say, "I need to make an appointment for a MRI." The polite scheduler on the other end asked me what it was for and what my referral paper stated. I told her, "I was told to have a cervical x-ray done to see if I have any herniations." She informed me that I need an MRI and that the first available appointment would be on August 7th. Yippy, happy birthday to me! So the date was set at 12:15 p.m.
Now we can go back to the story:
The receptionist took my paperwork, read over it and handed me a clipboard and an inch thick worth of paperwork to fill out. I returned the paperwork to the lady and was told to take a seat and wait until I was called in. When I finally was called in it was about a quarter to 1. I was then put into the "coffin" and the MRI began. Unlike the wonderful Provo Hospital (which gives you headphones to listen to), I was given earplugs to try and drowned out the horribly loud MRI machine! When the MRI was completed an unknown lady said, "The MRI is completed. I will get you out in just a minute." Well, that minute was WAY longer than a minute! When my body was slowly pulled from the machine my eyes were met with my referral paper. I was a little shocked and the nice little doctor asked, "Where is your MRI referral sheet?" I looked confused. Again the doctor asked, "Where is the other paper?" I told the lady I had no idea what she was talking about. She said, "Is this all your doctor gave you?" "Yes," I replied. "This is a referral for x-ray NOT a MRI," she firmly stated, "Who made this MRI appointment." Well, of course that would have been me. I felt like a 4 year old being chastised by my mother. I explained all I knew. She said, "I have called your doctor and he did not authorize a MRI." I stupidly asked, "Can you get the same info from an MRI?" The doctor spat at me, "Yes, if you want to pay for it." Oh was this making my birthday. So, I was quickly ushered back into the waiting room and told to wait there until another doctor would come to get me for the correct x-ray. So I waited, like a good little girl. I waited and I waited. I think if it wasn't for Judge Judy and Judge Joe being played on the TV I might have stayed there all day.....but I was fed up with having to listen to them and it was now 15 minutes after 2. I quickly went up to the receptionist and asked if they knew when I would be able to get my x-ray. Well, OF COURSE, they didn't communicate with them what was happening. So I was again able to regurgitate the awful mistake I had made to this woman. Her only reply was, "Oh, you are the one. They didn't tell me they had brought you out already." I once again asked if they can just look at the MRI instead of making me get another x-ray. To which I was told absolutely not. GREAT!
Finally, about five minutes later another nice little doctor entered the waiting room and called my name. I followed her into the x-ray room. As I was following her, she asked me what symptoms I was experiencing. To which I responded, "Numbness in my arms, tingling, horrific pain in my neck and upper back." My favorite was her reply to me....."Why aren't you getting a MRI? You need an MRI for those symptoms." I almost broke out in a cry, but didn't, I simply stated, "You're right but I don't have the right paperwork." She quickly gave me the x-ray (that took 5 minutes) and I walked out the hospital at 3:30ish! I was told that the results would be sent to my doctor and he would probably be calling me Monday with the results (she added he could call you tomorrow but most doctors don't read x-rays on Fridays---WHAT?!??!). So I left waiting for my results.
Monday came and went. No results. Tuesday I had my first faculty meeting. I kept my phone on me waiting to hear from the doctor. Nothing. Of course I am having to fight the pain that is causing me to want to throw up!!! MY BACK IS KILLING ME!! Finally I called the doctors office at 3:30pm on Tuesday wondering what the heck was going on. The receptionist said she would talk with the doctor and get right back with me. About an hour later the nurse called and said that the doctor said that there are multiple issues and that he wants to request the MRI results (THANK GOODNESS I HAD AN MRI!!!) before telling me anything. OK, now what.
Wednesday, during my faculty meeting, I notice I had two voice messages. The first message from a neurosurgeon's office informing me that my doctor had requested that I schedule an immediate appointment with their doctor. My second message was from my doctor's office asking me to call them. I spent 15 minutes trying to get a hold of my doctors office. NOTHING! I finally just called the neurosurgeon’s office to schedule an appointment. When I was making the appointment I asked if they had my results. The lady was shocked...."you don't know why you are coming in?" "Nope," was all I could say. She said she was unable to let me know but I needed to get a hold of my doctor right away. So I hung up my cell and called my doctor again. This time I was able to get the nurse who said that the doctor hadn't had time to read my results yet. I said, "That is funny, because the doctor referred me to a neurosurgeon and I have already made an appointment....but I am not sure why?" "Oh, let me call you back." was what I was told. 10 minutes later the nurse read something to me over the phone that sounded Greek. One word did make sense, "degeneration." I thought, "Oh, that is just like when I was told last year that I had a slight arthritic degeneration in my ankle and I freaked out and called John who quickly told me that was just the normal wear and tearing of my body." So I chucked a bit and said, "Ok, I understand the degeneration part....it is normal wearing and tearing of my spine right?" I then explained to her my ankle history. She didn't laugh. She just quickly said, "There is nothing normal about these results! You are 35 years old, you shouldn't be having any DEGENERATION!" UGH, apparently there is a difference between the type I told John and my results! I asked her a few questions and she said she didn't have any answers for me. I then started to panic. I said, "You know I really would like a copy of my results so I could send them to my brother and get some idea of what is going on." She faxed to my school the results.
This is exactly what they say:
MEDICAL DOCUMENT
Patient Name: WINWARD, WINNIE
Message Log Note (08/12/2008 16:23)
>>>>Reply From: (Name Withheld)
LMOM TO CALL US FOR RESULTS. NEUROSURGENS OFFICE WILL CALL W/IN 24-36 HOURS TO SEE HER ASAP! THEY ARE AT PHYSICIANS PLAZA NEXT TO UVRMC. RELAY MESSAGE BELOW (NAME WITHHELD)
>>>>Reply from: (Name Withheld)>>>>
please apologized to her regarding the weight. As of last night when I went home, report was still not available. Imaging shows multilevel degenerative disk disease with herniations, spinal stenosis (narrowing of the canal through which the spine needs to descend) and probable compression of some of the nerve roots as they leave teh spinal cord to go into the arms.
I have spoken with one of the nurse practitioners at the office of the neurosurgeons. He has her phone number (work and home) and will be calling her to set up an appointment as quickly as possible. This may even be tomorrow. He would like her to get a actual copy of the MRI from the hospital to bring him to the appointment. This should not be at disk but actual films.
WOW, pretty crazy sounding right. Well, when I went to the neurologist they told me I was going to die....NO just kidding! I actually saw a nurse practitioner who said that my back was REALLY bad and that surgery was the only option. He showed me my multiple bulging disks, herniated disks and where my spinal canal is so narrow that it is almost touching my spinal cord. Well, I refused to sign a legal form stating I wouldn't sue if they messed up in surgery....and also said to the nurse that surgery would be my last choice...what other choices do I have (My brother told me to make sure that surgery was the last option). He then left me in the doctor's room for almost 45 minutes. When the nurse came back he sang a completely different tune. "Well, the doctor saw your MRI and doesn't think it is as bad as we thought. We are going to put you on a steroid that should bring the swelling down and also refer you to physical therapy 3 times a week. He then tells me that the steroids I will be taking only have a few minor side affects, "weight gain, mood swings....." WHAT!!! MINOR!! UGH---honestly I stopped listening to the "minor" side affects after those two! Ugh, great I am going to become fat and depressed!! Then I became completely confused.....so all the previous info. the nurse showed me was fake....wrong/right??! What is truth! Am I really fine???
Luckily, John is so patient with me. I called him up and complained about my results. I told him I was having a really hard time with doctors that can't spell correctly. John quickly informed me that doctors don't write their responses anymore. They dictate them and then some wonderful hard working Indian in India writes them out (wow, that explained a lot).
I also was able to read my MRI results to him and tell him the meds the doctor gave me. He was so helpful and calmed me completely. I am even proud of myself....I have been really good at following his orders. Yesterday, I didn't even get on the tube when I went with my friends boating! I had to laugh...When I told John I was going skiing on Saturday he said, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!" I said I know. He then repeated, "ABSOLUTELY NOT, you can go riding on the boat but that is it." John, I didn't ski or tube!
Now I need to do better with physical therapy... I haven't had time to go to physical therapy (I KNOW--lame excuse) but school just started and I haven't been available to skip out of work yet...but I am getting on that---although...I have finished the steroids and the pain that use to cause me to want to throw up is completely gone!! YIPPY!!! No worries mom, I will get into physical therapy though!
So there you have it....my results.....I have the spine of a 90 year old woman....but the desire to move like an 18 year old. They don't mix very well, but I am learning to live with it! I definitely am on the mends!
Thanks to all of you for your help and concern!!! Especially my mom who was able to help out tremendously in getting my classroom ready for school to start!!!! You're great!

2 comments:
Steroids are great. Just look at all the baseball players who use them.
I'm glad that you don't have to have surgery though!
Don't we all think we have our 18 year old body? Aging is a sad joke.
I swear Winnie, you write the LONGEST posts. Where do you find the time??? Hey I got an idea, write shorter posts and then you will have time to go to PT. :) Glad you're feeling better.
Post a Comment