»

Friday, August 1, 2008

Trip to Chicago

So July was the month of adventures. From traveling to emergency room visits, I have a month to remember!
It all started when April and I were walking (at the end of June); we were discussing what we would be doing for the fourth of July week---I had no plans and was bummed that July seemed to be the month of "nothingness"---I quickly turned to April and said, "We should go to Chicago." April had never been to Chicago (blasphemy!) and I thought it would be a great idea to visit my folks and show her around. She immediately was excited. So plane tickets were purchased---for WAY too much money (always plan ahead when wanting to fly!!!) and we were set.
I had a blast! It is funny how when you go home you don't see the environment the same as others. I had left my camera at home but April has so graciously allowed me to steal her photos she took. She helped me see "home" through a different view!

While there, we were able to go to downtown Chicago. It was so packed! It felt worst than Disneyland......because of the "Taste of Chicago." The news said there were over a million people downtown-----and I believe it!


April with Chicago in the background!

It was a beautiful day! The sky was so blue!
This was one of the many attempts my poor dad took trying to get a picture of April and I in front of The Art Institute of Chicago......luckily, there was a quick break and we were able to get a picture without too many people in it! ;-)
Love this museum!

After visiting the museum, we walked around Chicago. We loved the family atmosphere and friendly events offered to the public. The following picture is of "The Crown Fountain"in the Millenium Park Chicago. This is such a fun place to go during the summer. A couple of years ago we took all the grandkids and siblings.....it was very fun to splash around and watch the faces change.


Also, found within Millennium Park is the "Cloud Gate" (although, no one in Chicago calls it by its proper name....it is affectionately called "The Bean." I personally thought it looked more like a biker's helmet...but bean works).

This is the coolest sculpture ever! You can see the entire Chicago skyline when looking at it. Inside is an amazing view as well.

We then ventured through the "Taste of Chicago" and got claustrophobic with all the people around us. Luckily, we ended up at the "Buckingham Fountain"







We loved seeing the big skyscrapers, Water Tower, Sears Tower, Chicago Tribune, etc. We even were able to eat at Maggiano's (a FABULOUS Italian restaurant) downtown.

The Chicago Tribune has pieces of different structures from around the world on it.....This top picture is a piece of the Alamo and below is a picture of many pieces.



The buildings are so cool!


My parents also took us down to Springfield (the capital of Illinois). It was such a cool place. We went and saw Lincoln's home and had a tour:



This is the original Capital building. The stone work was gorgeous on the outside.

This is were Lincoln practiced law. Joseph Smith was brought to this building to be judged.




We also were able to go to the Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. This was such a wonderful place.
I had no idea what an inspired man Lincoln was!
April and I poising with the Lincoln family!



After attending the library, we went to the "Lincoln Tomb." Also, a very inspiring/spiritual place!


This is the outside of his tomb. The bronze statues found on the tomb are cast from 65 cannon donated by the United States Government.



This is where Lincoln is buried.



Below is the wall where Lincoln's wife and children are also buried.



Other highlights from our trip were: watching the amazing fireworks on the 4th, the AMAXING Chicago deep dish pizza from Giordano's (world famous---and for a reason! Best pizza I have ever sunk my teeth in!!!!!), playing games with my folks, getting blisters from walking ALL OVER Chicago, meeting new friends (Heather) and just having the chance to get away!

Thanks for coming out April (and sharing your pictures with me)! It was such a blast! We will have to go on another trip.....soon ;-)

No comments: