»

Monday, June 23, 2008

"Oh, Tom the Toad"



I am finally passed the humiliation of this event that I can actually talk about it.
As stated on the previous blog, I am teaching summer school. During flag ceremony my co-worker and I alternate days teaching camp songs. On this particular day, I decided to teach the kids, "Oh, Tom the Toad." I am not sure where I learned this song, but in the past, it has been one of my students' favorite songs. The kids especially love to sing this song very sad and solemn like. I use this song to teach pedestrian safety. It has always been a hit. Well, that changed quickly the other day. First of all, take a look at the song's words:

Tom the Toad Song


Tune: Oh Christmas Tree

Chorus: Oh, Tom the toad, Oh Tom the toad why did you hop up on the road?

You were my friend and now you're dead, you bare the marks of tire tread.

Chorus

1. You didn't see yon passing car and now you're stretched out on the tar.

Chorus

2. You hopped onto the yellow line and now you're just a streak of slime.

Chorus

3. There was a loud and awful crash, for poor old Tom had just got smashed.

Chorus

As I was reading the words through with the kids, I would stop and ask what happened to Tom.... or what should he have done.... or what would have prevented this from happening, etc. The whole time we laughed about the words and how dumb Tom was. Well, I noticed a mom of one of my students standing by the wall. She didn't look very well. So after I taught the song, lined the kids up, started them on their way to the classroom, I immediately walked up to the mom and asked her if she needed anything. Well, she started choking on tears. She said, "Could you please watch "so-and-so" close today. Yesterday night, one of his cousins (sob) was killed accidentally (looking at the poster of Oh, Tom the Toad)." She then broke down. I realized just then what had happened. "He was really close to (this cousin) and would you give me a call if he breaks down," she continued. I was so embarrassed, humiliated, feeling like the biggest jerk on the face of the planet!!! I said to her, "I had no idea, if I had I wouldn't have taught Oh, Tom the Toad. It probably wasn't the best song for either of you to hear today, right?" She waved her hand in the air, as if to brush it off, and with tears overflowing said, "It's ok, just could you please keep a close eye on him today for me." She then turned quickly around and practically ran out the door. Boy, do I deserve the "Insensitive Teacher of the Year Award!" Luckily, the kids seemed fine after the event!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

i hardly think teaching your kids a song about a smooshed toad could be seen as insenstive. i'll have to remember this song for camp next year!

The Coolest Allen Family said...

You would have no way of knowing what had happened to ths family. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I am toad-ally (get it? toad? hee hee) going to steal this song. It is so dang cute!