»

Monday, July 25, 2011

The Movie: 17 Miracles

If you haven't seen it
I would highly recommend that you do!

A Pioneer Film Like You’ve Never Seen Before

As part of the Willie Handcart Company, Levi Savage (Jasen Wade) feared that leaving late in the season would lead to despair and death. What he came to find out is that for every tragedy, there is a multitude of miracles.

Based on unbelievable actual events, and brought to you by filmmaker T.C. Christensen (Praise to the Man, The Work and the Glory), 17 Miracles will open your eyes to the stories of the Mormon Pioneers as you have never seen them before. Something extraordinary is about to happen.

Extra:

August 21, 1856 Thursday, Plat River.
Today we traveled up the Plat bottom to another bend in the river for twelve miles. The grass was high. The roads were sandy and the weather very warm.

-Levi Savage

Levi Savage kept meticulous records as he made his journey west toward the Salt Lake Valley. Many of the unbelievable miracles showcased in 17 Miracles come directly from Levi's first hand journal entries.

Some reviews I found online:

17 Miracles

I thought this movie was very well done, very realistic, and well-worth seeing. The movie covered all emotions, from humor and joy, to devastation and hardship. My 7 year old grandson asked several questions throughout the movie, but also enjoyed it. I would rate it as one of the best LDS films I have seen.

I did not count the number of miracles portrayed in the film, but there were many. The movie starts before the trek begins and ends before it is fully over, but the historical portions seem to be accurate. There was only a little in the movies I knew before it began. I was moved by the love, sacrifice, devotion, faith, perseverance and consecration of those portrayed in the movie.
The movie is not technically perfect. It would not compare well with the movies we saw in the previews for its ?Hollywood-ness?. But, it has other merits those films do not have.

When the movie was over there were no cheers and there was no applause. Instead, above the few whispers, was a sense of reverence. Most of the crowd stayed until the last credit was shown. I believe that everyone felt the same sense of spirit that I felt. It was not surprising to me that I was deeply moved by this show. But, It was surprising to me that there were tears running down my cheeks a full hour after it was over.

ME:
Like the above review....both times I went to see it (I took my grandmother who wanted to see it the first time and then took Shay the second--I didn't want him to miss out on this amazing opportunity!).....not one person left the theater until the final credits played and the commercials for the next film began! The feeling in the theater (both times) was palpable. Tears flowed without restraint...and yet you left feeling uplifted, happy and in complete awe of God and his people.

Don't miss this opportunity to see this amazing movie!

Take your ENTIRE family!

You will not regret it!

1 comment:

Just Kristina... said...

I have REALLY wanted to see it. I'm glad it got good reviews. I'll have to make it a point to go!!