
Ok, here is the "test" story of the year! Why do things always happen to me!!!
My co-workers approached me last week to share with me a tradition they have during "end-of-the-year" testing. They explained, that since the end-of-the-year test requires the students to fill in "bubbles," they like to give their 1st graders "bubble"gum to chew on while taking their end-of-the-year "bubble" tests.
I have to be honest, I was really skeptical and had my reservations, but they assured me that none of them had ever experienced any problems in the past and that the kids really loved the experience. I was then counseled that, for it to be a successful experience, I would have to lay down firm ground rules. I then thought, "What the hay, I'll try it too! They have been doing it for years!"
When I presented the gum to my class, my students cheered! I immediately instructed them that they were to put the gum into their mouths (it was the Double Bubble-5 cent-type) and not to take it out---ever! Of course, someone had to ask, "What if I don't want to chew it anymore?" Good point---I thought. I told them "IF" they did not want to chew their gum anymore, they were to raise their hand and I would take a trash can over to their desk so they could spit it out--that way no one would "ever" touch the chewed gum and get "stickies" on their tests. I thought that I had "laid down firm ground rules?!?!" They even nodded their heads in affirmation when I asked them if they understood the rules.
Well, the kids had a blast chewing their gum through the test! There were even some bubbles popped and giggles heard. I thought it was a successful experience and that I would definitely do it again next year.....that is until I started collecting the tests of my students.
Just as I was picking up a student's test, Ellie, one of my brightest students, comes running across the room to me in sobbing hysterics! I quickly try to calm her so I could find out what the heck happened! She turned around and showed me a big piece of gum twisted and stuck in her hair on the nape of her neck. Not only was it stuck in her hair, but there was gum all the way around her neck!!! I GASPED in horror!!!!
"WHAT HAPPENED?" I stated---obviously a little too loudly because this sent Ellie sobbing all the harder (no teacher awards here, I am sorry to say!!).
Once I calmed her down, I asked again what had happened. What she said was shocking!
"I wanted a gum necklace around my neck and it got stuck in my hair."
I almost started to cry right there---and not out of laughter!!!!
The urge to cry increased as I had to literally ripe some of her hair out to remove the gum!!! It made me feel terrible!!!!
I have since decided that removing gum from a child's hair isn't one of my job requirment....and that if it EVER happens again...I am going to call the kid's mom and ask her come to school to get it out! Definately a "mom's job."
When sharing with my co-workers, what had happened, they looked at me strangely and informed me that none of them had any problems....and that they simply had to tell their class that they weren’t able to take the gum out of their mouth—--apparently I didn't have "firm" enough rules or something.....because if I had I wouldn’t have had that problem! :-)
CRAZY!! Why does things always seem to happen to me or my class!!!!
Next time I guess I must state: “NO GUM NECKLACES IN CLASS!!!!!!!!!”
WAIT....I can honestly say I doubt there will ever be a next time!!!!
Author's note: By the way, I absoluetly love Ellie and am not in the least bit upset with her. I can honestly look back on the ordeal and laugh about it...at least now! :-)

6 comments:
Winnie, the teachers can't honestly think that you didn't tell them not to take the gum out of their mouths. You only had one student do it. Granted, it happened to you but it was only one kid out of how many? Next time don't give gum to the smart kids. Obviously they have too much time on their hands between testing sections.
Being this students Father, I have been trying to come up with some clever excuse or comment as to why my child thought that the fashionable "chewed" gum necklace would be the hottest fashion statement of the 1st grade, but I just can’t seem to come up with one! However, whatever trauma she suffered in class due to this "sacrifice" for fashion must have been enough to keep her from wanting to share the day's walk down the runway with her parents. It wasn’t until later that evening that we discovered the remnants of her earlier expression in fashion; the conversation went something like this:
Dad: Ellie, why is the gum on the collar of your shirt?
Ellie: I have no idea; I wonder how it got there.
Dad: ok, if you say so... (We were at her brother’s soccer game, so I went back to watching the game)
A few minutes pass, she goes to sit on moms lap and keep warm, mom discovers a clump of gum in her hair...
Mom: Ellie, why is there gum in your hair?
Ellie: I don’t know, I have no idea how it got there...
Mom to Dad: did she have gum when she went to bed?
Mom: Ellie are you sure you don’t know?
Ellie: No, it hurts though
Mom: pulls it out, and informs Ellie, that’s she is sorry it hurts, but she can’t figure out why Ellie wouldn’t know how she got gum on her hair and shirt.
End of discussion.
The next day, the truth is discovered from Winnie, now we laugh, and begin the "honesty" discussions with Ellie...
We appreciate all you have done for our “crazy” kiddo…. She has truly blossomed this year in school, and we owe it all to you. I am just sorry that our little fashionista has ruined the “Bubble Gum” finals for the rest of your classes.
Hey...no worries....I can promise you if it hadn't been a fashion necklace I am SURE it would have been something else....it is just how school seems to go! ;-)
Kids, gotta love em"
oh too funny- for me anyway. I'm sorry winnie but it made for another one of your good stories.
Well I have felt like death warmed over all week! It started on Mothers day. (yay for me) So luckily my sweet spouse was able to respond. With my diminished brain power, I am glad he did. I would never of been as clever. She is a crazy girl though. No doubt about it!
ps...I sent you an email on Monday about the class yearbook. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get stuck in junkmail land; so just a heads up.
only you is right!! hee hee! pour ellie, pour you!
take ilene's advice--no gum for smart kids
Post a Comment