»

Thursday, January 31, 2008

What Do You Say....

Today was a very sobering day for me. I went to school not feeling well and decided I better get a sub and head back home. Before the sub was able to relieve me from my duties, one of my Thursdays "Reading Moms" came into the classroom. She walked right up to me with her big eyes and sadly said, "I need to let you know that this is the last day I will be able to come in and read." I was shocked! She had always indicated that she loved coming in and would go the extra mile to make sure every child was able to read to her--regardless of how long she has to spend at the school. She then proceeded to tell me that she was going to have surgery the following week and was not sure what was going to happen after that. It was at that time that Rian (her daughter) approached her and gave her a hug. There was a weird look on her face. The mother told Rian, "Yes, I told her." I was so confused. The mother noticed and clarified by stating that Rian wanted to make sure she had told me that this was her last day. By this time, I wasn't quite sure what to say. I told her I would miss her service and had appreciated all she had done. She apologies for having to quit and then it all came out.....apparently, she has breast cancer. She is going into surgery on Tuesday and will then have to do Kimo and radiation. She indicated that she is considered a stage 2-cancer patient. There are 3 stages to breast cancer (at least according to her). I was dumbfounded, she is probably my age or younger. I asked if they found it fairly early. She said, "I found the first one and when I went in to get it checked out they found 3 more." As she spoke, I could see the fear and uncertainty in her eyes…a glisten of tears. She encouraged Rian to go play with her friends. Then there was that moment of silence, when be both were looking at each other. I wasn't sure what to say. I truly just wanted to reach out, hug her, and promise her it was going to be nothing---that nothing bad would happen! When I looked over at Rian, saw a little nervousness about her, I wanted to say the perfect words that would grand security and healing! Yet, my tongue was frozen for that brief moment. She then shared some thoughts about things she had heard about her treatment. I stayed up beat and expressed my confidence that it would all work out just fine. By this time, my sub had come and it was time for me to leave. As I walked out of the classroom the mother turned to me and said, "I sure hope you get feeling better!" Me, I thought...don't worry about me! Just take care of yourself! So here I am worrying about her, hoping that it will all work out and wondering.....what is the right thing to say when that moment of silence comes. That moment when another individual tells you a very large burden they are caring and they are so uncertain and scared. When it is not appropriate to reach out and just hold them. I think every situation is different but I sure hope she felt my love and concern for her! May the Lord grant the wishes of her heart! Life is definitely full of ups and downs...that is for sure!

1 comment:

nicole said...

I had a moment like this once. A woman I nannied for in MO when Michael was little found out on her first mammogram. I was totally shocked. I didn't know what to say and I did hug her even though it may have seemed the awkward thing to do I think it helped her know I was sincerely feeling for her. She was awesome and I often think of things I could have done better in that situation but I did once tell her she was my hero for doing all she did despite the hardship in her life.