Demanding that the toilet paper roll be place on the dispenser so that the center cardboard tub turns in a counterclockwise fashion is absolutely silly, ridiculous, asinine and crazy…..at least that is what I thought when a former roommate of mine (while living in the Elms Apt. south of BYU campus) dragged me into one of the two bathrooms we had and tried to explain to me the importance of doing so. She was upset and found it annoying that we were not sensitive to this very important aspect of living. While in the bathroom she preceded to “sale” me on her idea of how toilet paper should be placed on the dispenser. She explained why it was/is absolutely necessary (if not more advantageous) to place the toilet paper roll on the dispenser in such a way that the paper always dispenses from the back to the front, top to bottom, instead of from front to back…bottom to top (an aspect I could honestly say had never entered my mind prior to this dialogue). She not only showed me in great detail how much more difficult it was/is to pull the toilet paper off the dispenser when it is placed “incorrectly,” (the toilet paper having to be pulled from the underside) but also how easily the toilet paper unrolls and touches the ground when dispensed “improperly” as well. I remember her indicating to me how feelings of anger would actually occur when she would enter the bathroom to use the facilities and find the paper dispensed “inappropriately.” I (more out of shock than anything else) sat and listened so intently to her “sales” pitch that I was not only convinced that she truly believed she was correct but that, to this day, she thinks that she “sold” me on the idea. I told her I didn’t particularly have a preference of how the toilet paper roll hung and that I would try to keep that in mind the next time I found myself replacing the toilet paper roll (just to appease her).
Well, she ruined me. I have to say her “sales” tactics worked….or the fact that all year I had to “think” about how I was placing the toilet paper roll on the dispenser. I now am unable to place toilet paper on the dispenser without thought. It has to be placed “correctly” or…I don’t know what…it just has to be that way. So, in my home you will ALWAYS find the toilet paper roll turning in a counterclockwise fashion (unless replaced by someone else and then I find myself “correcting” the situation).
Please know I really don’t mind visiting others’ homes and finding their toilet paper dispensed contrary to my roommate’s (and now my) preference, but I have been known (only to myself…I think) to switch the toilet paper rolls in my mother’s and siblings homes as well….scary I know! I think I might need therapy!
Have you ever adopted a former roommate’s habit, that has stuck with you over the years?
Friday, August 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment