Another day in Chicago, another book read....
I am not sure what has possessed me lately, I have always enjoyed reading a really good book, but lately I cannot seem to put a book down! I have read over 16 books in the last 3 months. I am out of control!
In Provo, while I was staying at Paul's home, I was a member of the Ward Classical Book Club. We read many of the old classics. I was excited to have the chance (and the peer pressure) to read them. In high school my English teachers often focused in on very contemporary pieces or very depressing books (like Farewell to Arms, etc.) and I never had the opportunity to read the "regular" classics that most have encountered growing up. I enjoyed this chance and was pleased to find myself really loving many of the books (there were some very boring ones in there however ;-).
During this time a friend of mine, Heather, suggested reading a book called, "These is My Words," by Turner. I read the book and absolutely fell in love with it! I found myself relating all too well to Sarah and loving the way she expressed herself so honestly. The love story was also a plus! I immediately bought the sequel and read it (it was very good but I have to say the former was my favorite!).
After "These is My Words" series I picked up "The Secret of Bees." It was not an ABSOLUTE favorite but it was very good, well written and quite insightful!
My sister-in-law Nicole recommended "The Memory Keepers Daughter." It was a very unusual book. It gripped me and I found myself finishing the book in one evening. It definitely is a serious, depressing book that makes you think about the consequences of choices and lies. It was a good book and I would not hesitate to suggest to someone to read it.... just be prepared to walk away sober by the contents!
Heather again suggested I pick up "Twilight." She told me it would not win any literary awards but that it definitely was an amazing love story. I believe it was after the 2nd time of encouragement.... mixed with the fact that I really liked "These is My Word" that she suggested, that I decided to purchase the book. Well, you can read about "Twilight" on my other posting. I have loved that series and am dying for number 3 to come out!
"Digital Fortress," by Dan Brown came next! Wow, was that a suspenseful book! Unfortunately the book has quite a few swear words.....but if you are into gripping "Bourne Identity" type books you will love this book! A bit of sexual content as well (I am extremely sensitive to those things so hesitate to pass on this book to anyone who feels as I do).
Of course, by the suggestion of Ilene---although, I came to find out later that I bought the wrong book, I found "Mr. Darcy's Diary," by Amanda Grange. This was an easy read that followed Pride and Prejudice perfectly through the eyes of Mr. Darcy. I thought it was fabulous, but I find all things relating to Pride and Prejudice fabulous!! I would suggest this read to anyone who likes Pride and Prejudice!!!
At this point I think I finally took a few days off...well that wouldn't be honest...I just ended up rereading, These is My Words, parts of Twilight and New Moon and a personal help book. Sometimes one just has to stop and reread those books that they have come to love!
More postings of some of my favorite books I have read over the last few months to follow......
Thursday, August 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment