This week, one of my cute little students brought over a paper to show me. She was so excited to let me know she had written a "very funny" sentence. Much to my surprise this is what I saw when I looked at the page:
The frogg fartitd lowd the PePle all said peeu
I was taken back by the sentence and thought what do I do now. I immediately decided this would be a great editing moment. I asked her how many sentences were there. She stared at me in disbelief. I knew in an instant that I had just crushed all of her excitement. I quickly recovered by saying, "Because I think this is really funny and I think we can make it even funnier." We then discussed how every sentence has a "who" and a "what" (remember I teach 1st grade). We had to discuss the "who" in the first sentence was the frog and the "what" was that he farted (what a weird conversation to have!!!) We then discussed how using an exclamation mark and quotation marks could add more emphasis to her joke. She seemed much more pleased with her piece when she walked away with:
The frogg fartitd lowdly. The people all said, "PEEU!"
Spelling will come later....I will wait for a different sentence though! :-)
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment