»

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Results are in....



I received my blood test results from last Thursdays doctor visit. A little bit of back ground is needed to truly understand the response. When informing the doctor of my mysterious toe pain, I explained that I have had other doctors look at it who were unable to tell me what was wrong. I also informed him that I asked my younger brother John (who is a doctor) what he thought and that his response was, since I played soccer for 11 years, I probably have arthritis in my toe from the constant hitting of the ball or I could have gout.
Anyway, I thought I would post my results because of how bizarre the letter is. Now mind you, this is printed on "Intermountain Health Care" official paper. At the very top of the letter there is my name, address, phone, SEX (Like I would forget), date of service, the words: "Status: Final," "Encounter: Not Encounter Related," and the letters MMI with numbers following. Below all of that information is "Letters ((7/12/2008 00:00)"

It is then written exactly as see below:

(Status: Final)

Saturday, July 12, 2008




Winward, Winnie,
1250 E 300 N

AMERICAN FORK, UT 84003

Dear Winward, Winnie

Uric acid level was very low. I doubt gout is a problem with pain in the left great toe. Her brother it is probably right--
probably wear and tear arthritis.


Sincerely,



AKOLEN, M.D.


Authored By: (Doctor's name--don't want to be sued for typing it here)

Authored By: (Doctor's name--don't want to be sued for typing it here)

Signed By: (Doctor's name--don't want to be sued for typing it here)




WOW, I feel completely informed! I am so glad I was able to pay this doctor! I feel so much more comfortable in knowing that the pain in my "great" toe is "probably" due to arthritis because he "doubt"s it is gout.


Wait a minute...I have no answer AGAIN about my mystery toe pain---that I paid a co-pay for....and......is that really suppose to be a sentence! WOW! I feel much more secure in my choice of medical treatment. I guess I can always look on the bright side....I don't have gout! Yeah! And when my toe starts to hurt and I can't hardly step down, I will just remind myself that it is "probably" arthritis and continue on my merry little way!

Maybe I should start using this approach in my profession.....

"No, I "doubt" your child is completely lost in math they are "probably" just experiencing some confusion!

I "doubt" the nose bleed is from a fall. It is "probably" from picking it so often in class!


Although, I don't think my parents would really appreciate that too much!!!!!

3 comments:

Dee said...

Oh my gosh too weird. I had pain in my left toe for weeks. Then my mom mentioned, without even knowing this, that in her early thirties she started getting arthritis in her foot (she claims it went away after she stopped drinking a 6 pack of Dr. Pepper every day). THEN, a friend met me at Thanksgiving point and had her foot all taped up. She said she had been having pain in it for no apparent reason.

My foot hardly bothers me now. Either it just went away when I decided it probably was just arthritis (I think worrying about it made it worse), or I've gotten used to it. Can't stop walking!

So is this just the beginning of middle adulthood and all the lovely new aches and pains that go along with it? Eeeek!

Too bad doctors really don't know everything. Kind of unnerving, that fact is. Might as well go to a holistic doctor or a chiropractor for the foot huh?

Ilene said...

Don't say those things to your kids' parents until you have malpractice insurance like doctor's do.

Why do you think they are so vague?

I think arthritis due to your soccer skills sounds cool.

Not that that helps with the pain.

Jackie said...

What a lame doctor. I wonder what he would have pulled out of his hat if you didn't give him John's diagnosis?