»

Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Royal Wedding makes a difference

Yesterday I took the opportunity to show a clip of the "Royal Wedding" to my class (for only historical purposes). I feel it is SO important for these little ones to have the opportunities I did to see history in the making. I laughed when I introduced the event and one of my kids goes "who cares, we don't care about them! My mom says their dumb and we don't care." We then took the opportunity to discuss the importance of knowing what is happening in the world and possibly knowing what actually influences a culture or people regardless of personal opinions. I then told them of how I remembered seeing Prince Edward and Diana get married so long ago. We also discussed how the "Royals" live in the public eye and have to watch everything they say and do. Some thought that would be cool while others did not.

What did blow me away was what happened when the clip stated that I did not think about nor plan. My students were in awe as they watched a man get married to a woman. They watched and noticed how a man and woman can love each other and then decide to get married and how special that really is. They talked about how special it looks to get married and how they would like to have one like that (amongst themselves of course). Then it hit me like a ton of bricks....not only was I showing them history (which was my ONLY intent)......but that this was an opportunity I took (unknowingly) to show my little ones that marriage between a man and a woman is good, special, sought after, and important. I thought of the countless people around the world who saw the same thing that my little ones saw and I became SO grateful that it is a big event!!!! I am now FOR many more Royal weddings! In this world the more weddings between a man and woman being seen the better, in my opinion, after this unexpected but beautiful experience!!! What was even cuter was how they pointed out a wedding photo I have of Shay and me on my desk and how they reacted to the fact that even I got married (of course with the Salt Lake Temple in the background) and I was able to share with them that my wedding was just as special to me as it was for William and Kate.
LONG LIVE ROYAL WEDDINGS!!!!!

No comments: