»

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Girls night out from.....

Last night, I had the chance to meet up with some girl friends at a restaurant for dinner. I was so excited all week to see and chat with everyone...unfortunately....during the day my students were OUT OF CONTROL (day before Spring Break....Easter egg hunting....birthday celebrations.....are just the right combination for hyper/out-of-control students) and I was exhausted. To top things off, I went to meet the girls at the restaurant and couldn't find my purse. I looked everywhere--tore my home apart looking for it AND my car. Finally--after a few pleading prayers, I feel a need to backtracked my steps that day. Well, I had to backtrack clear back to when I placed my purse in my classroom closet that morning before I found it BUT it was there.....UGH.....that caused me a bit of a panic and stress as well.

Finally, I was able to meet up with the girls at the restaurant at around 6:45pm. Luckily, two other girls hadn't arrived there either so we were able to chat and hang out. The odd thing was they had placed us at a booth--slightly larger than a normal 4 person booth but completely inadequate for six girls. So, by the time the night was over we were literally elbow to elbow trying to eat.....which isn't the most comfortable thing to do when trying to have a conversation as well.

Important missing detail: Shay and I were to meet some other friends at 8:30pm to play games--this is important to know later on. :-)

Well, at about 6:50sh the server asks if we wanted to order, even though the others hadn't arrived yet. We decided, since the restaurant was crowded, that we would give our orders but would like them to be served when the others arrived. Then when one of the girls arrived a few minutes later, indicating that she wasn't sure if the other was going to be able to make it at all, we told the server we were ready for our food.

All seemed to be going well when my friend's appetizer was brought out fairly promptly (I had not ordered an appetizer because I thought my drink would tie me over until my dinner came).

Well, then time past, and past, and past.....and then I started to became completely annoyed with our server (an awkward, tiny teenage girl---looked no older than 12---that had glasses bigger than her entire head) who asked, in total disbelief and almost in a completely disgusted voice:

"Do you wanted another Pepsi?"

OK, so it as going to be my 3 Pepsi, along with a full glass of water....but by that time it was at least 7:30pm and I had not eaten since lunch that day (at 11:15am) and my body was starving!!! I quickly told her yes please! I swear that should have been a sign for me to leave immediately......but I didn't catch it.

So, to say the least, when Shay called at 8:08pm to let me know he was leaving our condo to meet at our friends house (I had asked him to call to remind me of the time because I knew I would lose all track of time with my friends), my plate of food was finally placed before me-next to my 4 empty glasses of Pepsi and one glass of water. I had already visited the ladies room twice, my body was freezing trying to circulate all of that liquid I had just slammed into it, and I was shaking out of hunger.

When the server brought out the last plate of food for my friend sitting to the left of me, next to the window, the server asks me (no joke):

"Could you hand this to her?"

Then, while I am taking it out of her hands, she says....

"Tell her to be careful not to touch the plate it is really hot."

WHAT!!! So here I am with this "hot plate" in my hand. Out of pure reaction I quickly set it down on the table with a thud. Luckily this time (--oh yeah, it gets better) the plate wasn't too hot to burn my fingers. We laughed about it when the server leaves and then I quickly turned to my food.

I am embarrassed to say that I literally scarfed down my meal---no joke. I don't think I spoke until my plate was scrapped clean. Luckily, it was actually tasty so I became almost normal again.....but I am sure my friends thought I was a huge pig!! They probably even heard me snort a few times--not really but I felt that way.

Then Shay calls me again to indicate that he was at our friends house--about 8:38pm (to be exact). I told him I would be there as soon as I could and that the checks hadn't arrived.

By that time, the server had already come to our table to take the girls' dessert orders...and since I wanted to chat a bit longer...and didn't think dessert would take that long to bring out..... I didn't press the check issue. WRONG! We sat and sat. When the girls' desserts were finally brought out, my friend found an onion on her ice cream. GROSS!

When the server finally came back around to ask if everything was OK, my friend told her about the onion--really politely. The server said she was sorry and stood there for a half of a second without saying anything and then finally asks (with an attitude of: "disbelief"):

"Do you want me to bring you out another one?"

I was so pleased that Tina actually said yes. Apparently, onions and ice cream don't taste too good together--imagine that. When the server went away the manger came over to see how our time was going at the restaurant. Tina explained that it had been fine until her ice cream. Then the manager said:

"That is really weird. That is the second time tonight that has happened. I had better go see what is happening."

WHAT!! You actually told us that another incident like this had happened in your restaurant tonight. At this point all of my Aunt Winnie's horror stories about working in the food industry came to mind. I was/and am convinced some teenagers were having a fun Friday night in the kitchen....my stomached turned. What else could be wrong with the food I ate?????

WAIT....I am not done. So then, the server comes out with Tina's dessert again---It is called a Blondie (A yellow cake--I believe--with ice cream on top that is suppose to be "warmed up")---and tries to reach over two of us girls to give it to Tina (impossible).....I, of course--since it is hanging in midair right in front of my face, reach up to help pass it over. Well, as soon as my thumb hit the dessert plate I hear a sizzling sound as sever pain shoots up my hand. Surprisingly, I only shout out, "SHOOTA!!!" Others turned and looked. The dessert hits the table with a thud, luckily right in front of Tina, unharmed. The server says nothing and one of the girls quickly says to her, "She is going to need some ice quick." I am in shock. It hurt so bad. I look over at my friends dessert and the plate/skillet part is literally smoking. She moved a bit of ice cream off the cake and it hit the skillet and starts to bubble and evaporate. I knew at that moment I wasn't being a hypocondriac! It was "OK" for my thumb to be burning like the depths of Hades!

The server quickly returned and placed a cup of ice and napkins in front of me without saying a word and then proceeds to run away ---I think she could have raced the speed of light and won. Seriously, not a word---not even a "Sorry." or an "Are you all right?" Nothing! We were all in shock. What has happened tonight???

Then to top it all off, when our checks came, I noticed that my drink was not on my check (although, my friend's Blondie was not removed from her check--WEIRD I KNOW).

Quickly, the little red devil in me pops up on my left shoulder and says (remember the old cartoons with the devil on the left telling the character the wrong choice and the angel on the left):

"Well, I am sure she just didn't include the Pepsi because of the burnt flesh you now have."

Then the little angel says:

"No, you need to be honest and make sure this is correct."

So, of course--BEGRUDGINGLY--(never said I was an angel), when the server returned I asked her if she was aware that my drink had not been added. She quickly tells me that she must have forgotten and how she usually puts the drinks on last with such a big group ("What?" there are 6 of us). Then she says (no joke):

"Do you want me to put it on?"

For a split second---devil on my left SCREAMS: "OF COURSE NOT"

But again the angel won and I said:

"Well, if it is the honest thing to do, sure."

Of course I am saying this while I am inconspicuously holding up my burnt finger in front of her nose.....thinking she might at least say something about it--like sorry about that---or at least say the drinks on the restaurant due to this incident.

BUT OH NO! That is not what she says. Instead she says:


"Well, since you have drank 5 glasses of Pepsi tonight you ought to have to pay for it."



WAIT, WHAT!!!!!!!

UGH!!!!!!!!

Then of course it was another---who really knows how long----before she returns with our receipts. I finally made it to our friend's house at 10:00 with my thumb wrapped in the biggest clump of wet napkins you would ever see. I looked lovely. I am so grateful they were not upset at my tardiness and were simpathetic to my sad tale.

At least it gave me something to blog about....since I didn't sleep too well last night, due to all the Pepsi I drank.....and now am up WAY too early for a Saturday....because my body still hasn't been able to slow down!


WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!


So, to summarize my evening (hey, I should have done that in the first place--oops),
1. Meet with girls
2. Wait forever for food
3. Drink Pepsi to try to curve my starving body
4. Eat food like a pig
5. Get burnt for having to help serve dessert
6. Get insulted for drinking too much
7. Have to wait FOREVER for my check
8. Am over an hour late to friend's house---due to slowness of service
8. Have a lovely burnt thumb that hurts when it touches anything
9. And can't sleep


WOW, I think I will return tomorrow for dinner........



NOT!


Does anyone else have restaurant visits like this, or is it just me?????????



BTW: If you don't know by now....I am completely laughing about the evening and making fun of the entire situation! ;-)

4 comments:

The Coolest Allen Family said...

If this all happened at the Applebee's in Lehi/American Fork, I would not be surprised in the least.

Win said...

Seriously, how did you know? It was at the Applebee's in Lehi/American Fork!!!

Patta Patta said...

Oh my gosh, Winnie! I refuse to go back to that Applebee's because they are HORRIBLE! The food just sucks there, and they served us potatoes one day that were still frozen! And, another visit, we ordered several items of food, and they were "out" of all of them. Then, one other visit our vegetable they served was freezer burned. Yuck! We will never go there again. Sorry to hear about your misshap, but it does not surprise me that this happened in the AF Applebee's.

Patta Patta said...

By the way, this is Patty, lol.