Today I read a book to my class where the villain runs her fingernails down a chalkboard to cause irritation to the main characters. I paused and told my class how much I hate that sound. They looked back at me with blank looks. I then proceeded to ask them if they understood what had just happened----well, of course they didn't---who has chalkboards anymore?!?!? So being the smart teacher that I am, I quickly retrieved an old lap chalkboard from my cupboard and explained to them what had happen. While explaining to the students, my arms immediately had goose bumps all over them and I found myself cringing as I spoke. Much to my astonishment, as soon as I finished my explanation, my first graders asked if they could try it. WHAT!!! Apparently, not one of them understood the noise I was trying to explain or how it felt to do it. So, after each child had the horrific experience of running their fingernails across the chalkboard (and me almost passing out due to nerves) they understood......one girl said her arms felt weird---I even had to explain goose bumps to some! Even more strange was that some of my students thought it sounded "cool" to run their fingers down the chalkboard.
WOW! Today I really felt my age, but at least I can still remember that I can't stand that sound!
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment